In the Futura Learning Partnership, our intention is that children develop a life-long love of music. Through the musical experiences and opportunities offered to them throughout their education, each child will develop a musical identity which is personal to them, this may be in the form of a performer, composer and/or as an active listener who, in the future, will become a participator in the cultural life of the UK. In EYFS, KS1 and KS2 music acts as an integral part of the school day, be that singing whilst packing up, or listening to a new piece of music whilst walking into assembly. Our music curriculum plan, guided by the EYFS framework and National Curriculum, ensures that all children from EYFS and Year 9 experience a stimulating, practical and holistic curriculum which explores music through singing, performing, composing and listening. Every student in the Futura Trust will have been taught the substantive and disciplinary knowledge required for GCSE Music, and therefore possibly A-Level, should they wish to study Music at KS4 and KS5.
Alongside this we encourage all students to develop their musicianship in a variety of extra-curricular activities both in and outside school. Inevitably, the cultural capital of each student will be developed throughout their musical education within the trust yet each individual school also aims to meet the cultural interests, and needs, of the community in which our schools are based - all musical cultures and welcomed and embraced. We strive to ensure all students find Music an engaging and fulfilling subject in which they embrace the discipline of practice, the challenge of analysis and the excitement of creating and finding their own musical voice
Music at Chestnut Park
Our Music Curriculum will:
- Enable children to develop as musicians discretely and holistically.
- Provide a vibrant music experience for all children.
- Children will gain a firm understanding of what music is through listening, singing, playing, evaluating, analysing, and composing across a wide variety of historical periods, styles, traditions, and musical genres.
- Curiosity for the subject will be developed, as well as an understanding and acceptance of the validity and importance of all types of music.
- Gain enjoyment, self-confidence and a sense of achievement through musical activities
- Acquire musical skills and understanding of musical concepts through active listening then performing and composing
- Develop children’s capacity to express ideas and feelings through the medium of sound.
- Inspire creative excellence to enable children to develop as musicians.